Paris: How Long and What to Do?

When I studied abroad, I spent my semester in Lyon.  Being in France, a trip to Paris was but a short bus ride away. I visited Paris three times during my time in France and these are my tips to make the most out of your stay.

How long is long enough?

About one week.  This would be longer than any of the stays I made in Paris; however, to maximize your experience this time period should be sufficient.

When to go?

Try to plan your trip to Paris in the off season.  The colder months seem to be less popular.  I travelled there in February twice and that was a perfect time.  Some of the days may be overcast but the sunny days you do have will make it more than worth it. My third trip to Paris was in May… waaaaaaaaay too long of lines for a majority of attractions.

Where to stay?

If you are travelling alone, try a place with Hostelworld or Vintage Hostel Gare Du Nord.  They can offer cheap dorm rooms; just remember to bring a lock to store your valuables in a locker.

If you are travelling with a group, try to find a score with Airbnb.

How to get around?

If you are located close to the centre, you can walk to some places.  My recommendation is to buy a visitor’s Metro Pass for 3 Zones and snap a picture of a Metro Legend on your phone.  Make sure you’re paying attention to the direction of the metro so you don’t get turned around.  You may go the wrong way a few times but it will make sense soon enough.

What to see?

Eiffel Tower – As one of the most iconic attractions in the world, you will surely go to see it.  Should you go up?  I think it was worth the money.  I went up at night which was beautiful and I can remember it costing around $40 Canadian.

The Louvre – Honestly, you can visit this place for the entire week and you might not discover everything.  Research exactly what you want to see so you do not miss out, or go in completely blind, I have done both.  The Greek sculpture area is fantastic, but I have also got lost and found myself in a “secret” basement with an indigenous display. Spend half or the whole day, no more. 

Notre Dame De Paris – The view from the outside is superb.  If the line is small, jump in and tour the inside.  If you want to walk on top, wake up early and line up before it opens.

Arc De Triomphe – Located at the end, or start, of the “shopping district” in Paris, this magnificent structure will stand out.  Go for a walk on the top, it is free if you are a student in the EU.  Use the underground walkway to get to the centre of the circular traffic.

Catacombs – If you want to wait in line, and pay a few euros, go take a walk with the dead.  Tunnels, and tunnels filled with human bones.  Bring a love interest to get close.

Sacre-Coeur/Moulin Rouge – Fairy close to one another, they are both landmarks worth popping by, but no needs to visit inside.  Moulin Rouge costs a lot of money and the Sacre-Coeur usually has lines and crowds.

Palace of Versailles – Worth a day trip to explore the Garden and possibly inside (if It is open).  Do your planning!

Disneyland – This is a difficult task.  If this is a trip you are passionate about, be ready to pay some serious money and plan well.  You NEED to know exactly how to use the train to get there and not get lost.

Hidden Gems

Here are some places that might be worth checking out if you have the time:

The Pantheon, Père Lachaise Cemetery (Jim Morrison’s Grave), Rue Cremieux (Colourful Street; fabulous picture spot), Roue De Paris (very peaceful ride), Musee d’Orsay (Statue of Liberty Replica), “Love Lock Bridge” (this has since been removed, but it might start again), and many other museums if you please.

Tips

Bring your Host University’s Student Card and your passport everywhere.  This can provide free admission or discounted fairs at many city attractions. 

You do not need to see or do everything.  Often it is hard to stick to a strict plan and see everything that is forecasted.  Get lost, and find yourself back; sometimes this is how you find a cool place not advertised.

Be safe, behave, and follow the rules and laws.  Have fun!