Studying Abroad in Chile: Hope’s Story

The five months I spent in Chile, during my first study abroad semester, was a life changing experience, to say the least. Within a little over of month of my stay, the political and social environment changed almost overnight, as country-wide protests broke out as a result of increasing inequalities within the Chilean state. This forced me to quickly adapt and learn how to contribute to conversations and respond as a foreigner in a highly sensitive environment. I learned to not only humbly listen, but truly hear the conflicting perspectives of locals on each side of the conflict, and understand the validity of varied points of view.

In addition to this, my knowledge of politics and economics on a global scale increased rapidly, as I watched the real impacts of these in people’s lives. My classes also coincided with the circumstances in an extraordinary way; as I was learning in class about the negative impacts of the neoliberal system in Chile, I was watching such impacts unfold before my very eyes.

As a social work student, I felt compelled to contribute what I could to the movement during the short time I had, so I joined protesters in peaceful marches and took advantage of an opportunity to share my experiences in the streets with a local documentary.

Aside from my experience within Chile, I also had the opportunity to travel all through South America and learn about a number of distinct cultures and ways of life.