Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Having some questions regarding studying abroad? Here are some commonly asked questions about the program. Additional support can be reached by emailing

What countries can I visit?

There are partnered institutions with TRU on almost every continent! Take a look at here for Bilateral options and ISEP options here to see what best suits your interest!

Is studying abroad competitive?

While applying at some universities can be competitive, TRU only requires you to have a cumulative GPA 2.5 for the Bilateral option and 2.75 for ISEP. If you don’t make this requirement, that is okay! Just come back and apply again when you’ve bumped up your GPA.

I don’t understand/know this language very well, what will happen?

There are various partnership institutions that offer classes in English and that country’s language. If you are up for the challenge, you can take the classes in that country’s language!

When should I go?

It is advised you go during your second and/or third year of your degree. Going too late can delay your graduation because there may not be enough time to assess the credits for the courses you have taken abroad for your transcript.

I am an MBA/graduate student. Am I able to go?

Unfortunately, studying abroad is only eligible for students who are taking undergraduate degrees. There may be options for summer programs.

I am a nursing or trades student. Can I go?

Again, it is only for students who are taking undergraduate degrees, but there are usually options for students in these programs to go abroad.

Am I able to go during the summer?

Absolutely! Some countries such as Australia have a different semester rotation than Canada. There are also short term programs offered in countries in Asia and Europe for a few weeks.

How many courses should I take abroad?

You must stay a fulltime student when studying abroad. In TRU terms, taking a minimum of 9 TRU credits (3 courses). It is advised that students are aware about the amount of credits that each course is offered abroad.

Where can I attend info sessions?

You can visit for all the dates and times!

How long can I study abroad for?

TRU offers a few ways that you can study abroad. In total, you are allowed two semesters abroad, and this can be done in one of three ways:
– Doing a back to back semester study abroad
– Studying one semester abroad, one at TRU and going out again once more
– Studying one semester

All three options have the same requirements, and is encouraged if you do one semester outbound, one in Canada, and another outbound that it is done in your second and third year.

How much does studying abroad cost?

Tuition fees are around the same as what you pay at TRU. You pay to TRU and go abroad. However, other expenses such as living expenses, leisure money, phone plans, utilities, passports, plane tickets, visas and medical expenses vary from country to country, so it is important to do some research about the cost of living.

Can I study abroad as an international student at TRU?

Yes you can! Your tuition still stays the same as an international student at TRU.

Is a VISA required?

In most countries, you will need a permit or a study visa, and should be received in Canada before you depart. However, the process to get a VISA should not start until after you have been accepted to a university.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *